Monday, March 16, 2009

Unbelievable

Alternate title: IT JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER!

Alternate, Alternate title: The Key that is Dead To Me

So I mentioned I found my original set of spare keys – the very last van key we were down to. My keys were found two days after we paid $213 for a locksmith to re-key the van and get a brand new key.

Now, Saturday morning Andy had all three kids buckled in and ready to go to the children’s museum. He stuck the key into the ignition and… nothing. The car wouldn’t start.

Tried again. Nothing.

{heart, sinking to floor}

We were sure it wasn’t the battery and most likely not some other starter-related parts because the engine would ALL BUT turn over. Maybe the timing belt? Dunno.

So we called USAA and found out we have roadside assistance. Great! They called a tow, who showed up in less than 30 minutes.



That would be my van, strapped to a tow truck, about to he hauled off. Sniff.

Andy decided while the mechanic was solving our transportation problem, he’d be the fun dad and take Drew and Madeline to the museum in his little car. I sidetracked Adelaide with milk, her blanket, and a nap, and went on my merry cleaning way.

A couple of hours later, Andy calls and says they can’t find a THING wrong with our van.

And then they had asked him, “Are you sure it’s not the key?”

The key. Right. He WAS using that old key, the one I had just found.

Turns out we had assumed (wrongly) that the new key was coded to the car – but apparently it was a whole new code. And so the old key no longer works.

(Dear Old Key, you have cost me a whole lot of money.)

Anyway, so we had the neighbor run over (Adelaide? asleep?) so we could go pick up the van and pay them a whopping $157 for telling us there is nothing wrong with our car.

When I happily jumped in my van later to run to the store (alone!) before Andy headed out to work, the first thing that hit me was my van suddenly smells like an ashtray.

I paid $157 for my car to smell like an ashtray. Thanks, Gator.

(Real name, true story.)

Total cost of the Key that is Dead To Me: $370.

Let it be a lesson to you.

16 comments:

bobw said...

ouch.

we turned up the block when we saw the van being carted away. I thought "I wonder if that's their van?...I'm sure I'll find out on the blog"

then I looked over and saw your kids jumping on the couch in front of the picture window, and thought "yeah, that's probably their van...I'm sure I'll find out on the blog"

Brie said...

Bummer :( Hopefully someday you'll be able to retell this story to Adelaide when she starts saying she can't find her keys and has to pay to have a new one made.

JenT said...

Ouch.

Dolly said...

LOL, what Brie said is funny! Maybe you should keep a running tab too!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Ouch. I want to cry with you.

brite said...

I'm serious...the craziest things happen to you guys! This is why your blog is so fun to read. :)

Jonesey said...

I'm so sorry. I think my heart sank and sank as I read your story. I lost my keys, hmmm, actually someone hid them for safekeeping. Someone who knows better. The other person in this family who has a driver's liscence. See, he put the keys in a hat in the van while he was in the store because he had two sets of keys on him and so, rather than carry two sets of keys (cause keys are heavy) he hid them in the baby's hat in the car (who of course was not with him at the time.) I learned the details of the story after I had to call the church 10 minutes before it started to have someone bring me a key. He remembered where they were after church :) Thankfully that little experience was priceless! I'm so glad you don't have to actually get anything fixed in your van, because that would be worse!
I'm with Brie Adelaide will appreciate this story one day!

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Aw crap! Hon, that really stinks!!! (Ha! Stinks! Get it?!? Sorry...)

Hope your week goes better!

Musings of a Housewife said...

Painful. Just painful. But hey. At least there is nothing wrong with your van! ;-)

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Oh, yick. I can just feel your frustration through my computer screen! I'm so sorry - and I hope your ordeal is finally over!!!

Mamacita said...

That's a drat monkey, as my little D would say!

mama said...

where did you find the old key?

Kellie said...

Oh I am so sorry! This is on of those stories that is great for the blog, but oh so hard on the wallet!

Jackie @ Our Moments Our Memories said...

Are you for real??? Oh, that is just wrong...I am SO sorry. Hopefully the Saga of the Key ends here...it can't get any worse, right?

Sarah C said...

So after all of that you still don't have a spare?!

Trina said...

Oh my, there are no words. I'm so sorry for you!!!